Monday, August 18, 2008

Prague Blague

I wanted to take it easy on the beer after barcelona, but the beer just keeps getting cheaper and more delicous as this trip progresses. Fortunately our accomodation in Prague was quite homey, so nights off partying were possible (still rare). Yes, I went to the 5 story nightclub. Overrated, but at least I can say I've been there right? meh. I preferred the strip club/brothel across the street from the hostel (just kidding mom!). Contrary to Dave's blog, I highly encourage drinking Absinthe.


Shoes hanging from a power line usually signifies one of two things: a drug dealer's house, or a skate spot. When no one offered me any drugs immediately upon entering Stalin Square (no longer called that but who cares, i'm an ignorant tourist), I assumed it was the latter. I was right. It resides on a hill overlooking the Vltava(?) and all of Prague, has a gigantic metronome and is a glorious skate spot. I spent a fair amount of time there, mostly because I really like metronomes. Prague is the most beautiful city I've ever visited.

Krakow was next, and I used this time for a little detox. I even saw the new Batman movie, because what else do you do if you're not going to a bar at night? Its a smaller city and there was less to see, so my stint in Krakow was relatively short. Dave and I made a day trip out to Auschwitz and Birkenau, the notorious Nazi death camps. I'm trying to keep this blog lighthearted so I won't say much about this, other than that it was shocking. We saw massive rooms full of the hair, shoes, and other belongings of the families whose bloodlines came to an end there. To understate, the Nazis were real dicks. Moving on, as I write this I realize that I never ate any Polish sausage, and now I'm pissed off. Great.



The amount of people who can speak English is rapidly decreasing as we continue to head east, making ordering meals more and more of a gamble. Krakow and Prague have castles, cathedrals, and castles with cathedrals inside. Need I say more? In Hungary now.

No comments: